Monday, February 23, 2009

What name to choose

Ever since we have learned that we are going to have a baby we have been playing this "what name to choose" game. Over the past 5 months we talked about finalized a list of out top boy names and top girl names. We also told ourselves that once we found out what we were having it would be easier to narrow down the list of names. Well 2 weeks ago we learned that we would be having a baby boy (so that cut out all the girl names) and we started strictly focusing on boy names, and we are no closer than we were 2 weeks ago.


Actually our list with all of our top boy names have now become "not so top" names, and we have had to reconstruct a brand new list. Another part of this "name choosing" is all the question and thoughts and things that come up as we go through each name like: if we name him this, will people choose a nickname that we don't like, or will it be a name that can easily be made fun of (something we don't want). or it is always interesting how certain names can "Make or Brake" our decision depending on the people we know and how they had an influence in our life (good or bad). Then of course we have to get the names approved with one another. Names that she likes and think would be good are names that I don't like or think would fit in our family, and vice-versa.


Now after we moved through all those challenges then comes the hardest of all, and that is trying to choose names that other family members don't have. We both come from large families and when we look at all the brothers and brother in-laws and nephews and grandparents and uncles and.....well you get the picture, when you look at it there are a lot of names that get weeded out, then we go back to square one because our top names have been minimized to the max and what few names are left over really do not become our top choices.


Even though it is hard to decide on a name it does not push us away from the fact that we are extremely excited to become parents and whatever name we choose (when we finally choose it) will be the right one for our new baby boy and for our family. So until July 5th when the decision hast to be made we will continue to play this game. (sometimes it is really fun)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! It is super had to choose a name! We find out hopefully on the 10th what we are having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and good luck with choosing a name! Angela, like 8 months ago I saw you in Cedar City's Walmart and I was going to say Hi but I didn't, and I figured I would see you again... But I haven't! So, I found your blog and I am saying Hello! This is Audrey Mecham(Oliver) by the way. I live down here too! I have a blog, if you would like to see it you can email me at mamecham@msn.com and I can invite you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Angela and Joe!! We miss living by you guys but we hope Cedar is going well! I haven't had a chance to tell you, but congrats on the baby, that is so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete